Fifteen Pro-Life Truths
By John Piper January 24, 2003
“You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.”
– Jesus Christ
1. Existing fetal homicide laws make a man guilty of manslaughter if he kills the baby in a mother’s womb (except in the case of abortion).
2. Fetal surgery is performed on babies in the womb to save them while another child the same age is being legally destroyed.
3. Babies can sometimes survive on their own at 23 or 24 weeks, but abortion is legal beyond this limit.
4. Living on its own is not the criterion of human personhood, as we know from the use of respirators and dialysis.
5. Size is irrelevant to human personhood, as we know from the difference between a one-week-old and a six-year-old.
6. Developed reasoning powers are not the criterion of personhood, as we know from the capacities of three-month-old babies.
7. Infants in the womb are human beings scientifically by virtue of their genetic make up.
8. Ultrasound has given a stunning window on the womb that shows the unborn at eight weeks sucking his thumb, recoiling from pricking, responding to sound. All the organs are present, the brain is functioning, the heart is pumping, the liver is making blood cells, the kidneys are cleaning fluids, and there is a fingerprint. Virtually all abortions happen later than this date.
9. Justice dictates that when two legitimate rights conflict, the limitation of rights that does the least harm is the most just. Bearing a child for adoption does less harm than killing him.
10. Justice dictates that when either of two people must be inconvenienced or hurt to alleviate their united predicament, the one who bore the greater responsibility for the predicament should bear more of the inconvenience or hurt to alleviate it.
11. Justice dictates that a person may not coerce harm on another person by threatening voluntary harm on themselves.
12. The outcast and the disadvantaged and exploited are to be cared for in a special way, especially those with no voice of their own.
13. What is happening in the womb is the unique person-nurturing work of God, who alone has the right to give and take life.
14. There are countless clinics that offer life and hope to both mother and child (and father and parents), with care of every kind lovingly provided by people who will meet every need they can.
15.Jesus Christ can forgive all sins, and will give all who trusts him the help they need to do everything that life requires.
Here are the places where most abortions are done in the Minnesota. Ask God how the gospel of Christ might be most fruitfully shared with those who work here, with a view to saving life now and for eternity. The one nearest the church (Meadowbrook) advertises on their website that they do abortions up to 21.6 weeks.
Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, HIGHLAND PARK CLINIC: 1965 Ford Parkway, St. Paul, MN 55116; (651) 698-2406. email@example.com; http://www.ppmsd.org/medical/highlandpark.asp
Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, MINNEAPOLIS CLINIC: 1200 Lagoon Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55408, (612) 823-6300; firstname.lastname@example.org; http://www.ppmsd.org/medical/minneapolis.asp
Meadowbrook Women’s Clinic, P.A.: 825 South 8th Street, Suite 1018, Minneapolis, MN 55404, (612) 376-7708; email@example.com; http://www.meadowbrookclinic.com/about.htm
The Robbinsdale Clinic: 3819 West Broadway, Minneapolis, MN 55422; (763) 533-2534;
Midwest Health Center for Women: 33 South Fifth Street, Fourth Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55402; (612) 332-2311; http://www.gynpages.com/midwest/
Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way and do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction. For web posting, a link to this document on our website is preferred. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Desiring God.
Please include the following statement on any distributed copy:
By John Piper. Desiring God. Website: desiringGod.org